Date:      Fri, 23 Feb 2001 16:17:49 +0100
From:      Jeroen Ruigrok/Asmodai <asmodai@wxs.nl>
To:        Nik Clayton <nik@freebsd.org>
Cc:        Murray Stokely <murray@osd.bsdi.com>, freebsd-doc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Indexing the Handbook

-On [20010223 11:30], Nik Clayton (nik@freebsd.org) wrote:
>On Thu, Feb 22, 2001 at 05:59:04PM -0800, Murray Stokely wrote:
>
>My main concern is that in talking with a few people at various
>conventions it seems that getting a good index involves more than just
>sprinkling <indexterm> liberally around the document.
>
>I've got no idea how we select good terms to index, and again, the
>feedback I've had suggests that it's much more an art than a science.
>Which probably means we can't write rules and procedures for it :-)

You are so true in that aspect.

Indexing is Black Art.

>Do we also run the risk of having lots of different index terms, all
>subtly different?  I don't know.

One of the reasons we need to use standard terms? :)

>What are the {Linux,Gnome,KDE} Documentation Projects doing about this,
>if anything?

I am unsure.  I am checking the GDP at this moment and the others this
weekend and I'll report my findings.

>Is this something we could use entities for?
>
>    <!ENTITY index.p.stack_frame
>
>and then write
>
>    &index.p.stack_frame;
>
>As I say, I don't know.

I have to say I actually like that.  The good part about the entity
solution is that it doesn't clutter the flow of the text (much).  Hmmm,
I know vim pulls in autocompletion for C source files through the
#include'd files, let's see if I can do the same for SGML files.  That
would at least ease writing for me/vim using doccers.

--
Jeroen Ruigrok vd Werven/Asmodai    asmodai@[wxs.nl|bart.nl|freebsd.org]
Documentation nutter/C-rated Coder BSD: Technical excellence at its best