Date:      Sat, 13 May 2000 08:48:19 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Alex Charalabidis <alex@wnm.net>
To:        William Freeman <wdf@picusnet.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>, Brennan W Stehling <brennan@offwhite.net>
Subject:   Re: 5.0 already?

On Sat, 13 May 2000, William Freeman wrote:

> > On Sat, 13 May 2000, Brennan W Stehling wrote:
>
> > > My flawed upgrade to 4.0 a while back left me feeling FreeBSD is going too
> > > fast and that stability and quality is suffering.  A friend of mine was
> > > actually scared off and now prefers to go with Linux as it's development
> > > seems to be more conservative.
>
> I don't know what kind of crack that guy is smoking, but there is
> nothing at all conservative about Linux or GNU in general.  Even if we
> forget about all the communist ideology behind the GPL, they'll still
> take a patch from just about anyone unless it total sucks.  The only
> reason that it looks like FreeBSD is moving so fast, as opposed to say,
> RedHat, is because FreeBSD is controlled by one group, as opposed to
> scavenging everything rom thousands of different people.  Linux its self
> is just an operating system kernel and can do nothing useful on it's
> own.

Let's not start another licence bashing thread on this list please. Or at
least let him who uses no GPLed or otherwise ideologically tainted
software cast the first incendiary device.

BWS: And, yes, the guy who called Linux development conservative must be
under the influence of some hallucinogenic substance, regardless what
distribution he uses (FreeLSD comes to mind :). So you had a bad upgrade,
happens to everyone (think Linux 2.0 to 2.2, do I have horror stories
for you). Better luck next time. And please remember that it's a rule of
thumb that x.0 releases are NOT recommended for immediate production use
by the unwary or paranoid. Play with it on an idle box for a while and
see how it performs. Personally, I'm so far pleased with its stability,
features and performance and am putting it into production on new
machines. You may have a more conservative outlook in which case 3.x,
which you know is solid and reliable, ought to serve you as well as it's
always done.

> Plus, do you think it's coincidence that Richard Stallmans name sounds
> so much like Joseph Stalin?

Under that logic (and since you appear to like conspiracy theories),
FreeBSD, due to its longstanding association with the name Hubbard, is
another scientological attempt at world domination. And your name,
William...Bill... hmm, suspicious. :)

-ac

Alex Charalabidis (AC8139)            5050 Poplar Ave, Ste 170
Systems Administrator                        Memphis, TN 38157
WebNet Memphis                                  (901) 432 6000
Author, The Book of IRC              http://www.bookofirc.com/