Date:      Fri, 13 Apr 2001 10:25:58 -0700
From:      "Michael O'Henly" <michael@tenzo.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        Dru <genisis@istar.ca>
Subject:   Re: ipfw logging

I'm in the process of creating a firewall and came across this kernel option
last night:

options IPFIREWALL_VERBOSE

The Handbook says: "Enables code to allow logging of packets through
syslogd(8). Without this option, even if you specify that packets should be
logged in the filter rules, nothing will happen."

It sounds like you may already have this option set (since you're getting
logging to the console), but perhaps not?

M.

On Friday 13 April 2001 10:10, Dru wrote:
> Have ipfw running fine on 4.2-Release, it logs beautifully to the console
> the packets that I would expect to see logged. However, I must be missing
> something obvious as it refuses to log to a file. Here's the appropriate
> lines that I've added to:
>
> /etc/rc.conf
> firewall_logging_enable="YES"
>
> /etc/syslog.conf
> !ipfw
> *.*						/var/log/ipfwlog
>
> I added those 2 lines at the bottom of syslog.conf and I used TABs, not
> spaces.
>
> I then "touch"ed /var/log/ipfwlog, and have left the default permissions
> on for the moment:
>
> ls -l /var/log/ipfwlog
> -rw-r--r--  1 root  wheel  0 Apr 13 12:58 /var/log/ipfwlog
>
> Am I missing a typo or something, or have I forgotten to add another line
> someplace? I've "hup"ped syslogd umpteen times, not to mention re-booting
> several times.
>
> TIA,
>
> Dru

Michael O'Henly