Date:      Sat, 15 Apr 2000 21:39:01 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Zachary Drew <drew0054@tc.umn.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        dannyh@idx.com.au

>And people can find out my typing pine -f /var/somewhere/mymailaccount
>So  I need to get rid of this really quickly

wait, your saying other users on your systems can read your mail? you must
have permissions set wrong than... and they should be set right unless
someone on your system changed them.

dox:[/var/mail] ls -l
-rw-------  1 dox   dox         0 Sep 20  1999 dox
-rw-------  1 root  wheel  696138 Apr 15 03:36 root

also, spammers might have got your email address if you posted responses
on that mailing list (your email would obviously be included)

you could probably also use procmail (/usr/ports/mail/procmail) to delete
all mail not from the X mailing list

good luck

zach