Date:      Mon, 12 Jul 1999 01:17:30 -0700
From:      "David O'Brien" <obrien@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        Dag-Erling Smorgrav <des@flood.ping.uio.no>, Matt Behrens <matt@zigg.com>
Cc:        Gregory Bond <gnb@itga.com.au>, stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Netscape pkg silently requires compat22

> > My guess is Netscape is still using an a.out 2.2 machine to do the
> > builds.

Probably.

> Not necessarily, but Navigator/Communicator uses Motif and there is
> currently no Elf version of Motif for FreeBSD,

That is news to me and Satoshi!  ELF Motif 2.1.10 has been available for
FreeBSD since before 3.1-RELEASE (Jan 1999).  I guess you didn't realize
that is what we used in building the 3.1 and 3.2 RELEASE packages.

> so Netscape is forced to build and distribute a.out binaries.

No, Netscape wants to maximize the number of FreeBSD machines they can
run on (or they are too lazy to to upgrade their build machine).

--
-- David    (obrien@NUXI.com  -or-  obrien@FreeBSD.org)