Date:      Tue, 12 Nov 1996 14:51:06 -0500 (EST)
From:      Jeremy Sigmon <jsigmon@www.hsc.wvu.edu>
To:        dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Missing Operating System

> > I just installed SNAP2.2-1014 on my backup server.  It has
> > three IDE disks and a cdrom  all are detected and such, but after
> > the install when I try and boot up I get :
> > Missing Operating System...
>
> Boot with a DOS floppy and run FDISK and set the active partition to a
> partition on your first disk.

First thing I did.  It was set active.  This also happened on a
2.0 gig SCSI drive I had, but I reinstalled after making a 100meg dos
partitiion in front.  Boots now.  AH2940 controller. Seagate drive.

BTW I would love to know what the problem was, but I nuked the whole
thing accidentally by mounting sd0 on my fixit floppy and trying
to get the drive to boot from various suggestions I found in the
archives.  BOOM.  lockup followed by the fixit floppy telling me
that the drive was not a BSD drive so I could no longer mount it.
OH well... 1014 is running as we speak.

Thanks for the suggestion.
Jeremy