Date:      Thu, 21 Mar 2002 10:46:25 -0500
From:      "David S. Jackson" <deepbsd@earthlink.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Mounting UFS under Linux?

Hi,

I'm using a Linux 2.4.18 (stock) kernel, and I want to mount a
FreeBSD UFS filesystem (FreeBSD 3.5-STABLE).  From what I've read
so far, I can only do this read only.

Is there anyone here who uses both Linux and FreeBSD who can tell
me how to

a) mount a freebsd filesystem under linux rw, if it can be done

b) explain why no one has written a freebsd filesystem driver for
Linux?  (Does it have to do with disklabels or something?  I
guess Linux and BSD look at filesystems quite a bit differently,
huh?)

c) pass a switch to the stock ufs filesystem kernel module so it
will handle 4.4bsd (or if the kernel must be recompiled).  I
wanted to get the bsd filesystems data copied over before I
recompile, if possible--I had some other goodies I wanted to
compile in that I must research first.

TIA!

--
David S. Jackson                        dsj@dsj.net