Date:      Mon, 21 Feb 2000 00:13:31 +0100
From:      Roland Jesse <jesse@mail.CS.Uni-Magdeburg.De>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Mysterious core dumps for make and cc1 on a recent -stable machine

When doing a more or less "big" build (like building vtk or
buildworld), I am getting core dumps for make, as, and cc1 at
nondeterministic points during the compilation.

/var/log/messages does not tell much:
Feb 20 23:47:57 arthur /kernel: pid 17209 (make), uid 0: exited on signal 11 (core dumped)

That one happened while doing a "make buildworld":
===> gnu/libexec/uucp/uustat
/usr/obj/usr/src/gnu/libexec/uucp/uustat created for /usr/src/gnu/libexec/uucp/uustat
Segmentation fault - core dumped
*** Error code 139

Doing another buildworld right ahead goes on for a couple of minutes
but dumps core at another point in the source tree.

The system is:
j.trillian ~ % uname -a
FreeBSD trillian.my.local.domain 3.4-STABLE FreeBSD 3.4-STABLE #5: Sat Feb 19 23:48:39 MET 2000     j@trillian:/usr/src/sys/compile/TRILLIAN  i386

I cannot really ktrace the whole build as the size of the generated
output might eventually exceed my free disk space.

Any other hints on how to track this down are appreciated.

        Roland