Date:      Mon, 15 Dec 1997 15:42:21 -0300
From:      daniel_sobral@voga.com.br
To:        tlambert@primenet.com
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Why so many steps to build new kernel?

> The first one to grab the hardware gets it.  If you
> want to prefer one driver over the other, you link
> it first so it gets first shot at the SYSINIT.  If
> you want to configure one to be first at run time
> instead of at link time: use an ELF archiver.

And that's supposed to be user friendly at the same time, right?

I'm talking about what the kernel configuration file must have so that a
user friendly configuration tool can be created. And, as far as I am
concerned, ordering is not user friendly.

> > Similarly, the kernel configurator should not display syscon's history
> > buffer size option if you did not select syscon.

> A data section groveller would allow you to set this type of thing;
> we currently have three of them, counting sysinit/rc.conf.

That would kind of work. Except... that structure does not have the
semantic content for which it is being used, meaning that:

1) If the need later arises for the correct structure, we'll be left with
the choice of modifying *all* previous structures to the correct one (and
we all know how hard such things are), or using two different structures
for the same end.

2) It may lead to pilot error.

3) It's a hack and should be banned to hell.

Terry, are you suggesting a backward compatibility hack (with tradition,
not even code!) instead of doing the right thing???

> > In a perfect world, with elf kernel, PnP PCI devices, devfs, and well
> > behaviored hardware, sure, nothing's left to do.
>
> > (except that, there probably would be even then)

> So why work on (or argue heatedly about) code that's going to go away?

That should be obvious! We don't leave in a perfect world. (Proof: FreeBSD
runs on Intel with IDE hacks^^Wdrives)

> There's no need for a build-time configurator, in any case.

You mean there won't be no need for a build-time configurator if and when
we get to the perfect world, right? Because, right now, I can't seem to get
along without config...