Date:      Fri, 9 Mar 2001 09:48:22 -0600
From:      Andrew Hesford <ajh3@chmod.ath.cx>
To:        jett tayer <webby@bsdi.dhs.org>
Cc:        Andrew Hesford <ajh3@chmod.ath.cx>, Pablo Bendersky <pbendersky@itineri.com>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Problem setting up NAT

Anything relying on IP is handled by ipfw and natd, as far as I can
tell. I *think* I've seen streaming media come through, at least in the
form of RealAudio. I don't really give a rat's ass what happens to
Windows Media streams. My setup was not designed to be Windows friendly!

I don't know about Netmeeting, I've never used it. Given my ruleset, you
would have to initiate every connection, or ipfw would just dump the
packets. But as far as the world is concerned, every computer on the
network shares the same IP address: the address the firewall presents to
the outside world.

To get Netmeeting working properly, I imagine two things would be
required:

1) Explicitly allow all connections to and from the Netmeeting ports.
2) Configure natd to forward all attempted connections on those ports to
the Windows machine you wish to use.

Note that rule #2 means only 1 computer can accept outside connections
to Netmeeting ports (connections initiated inside the network are
handled separately, and are not a concern).

--
Andrew Hesford
ajh3@chmod.ath.cx