Date:      Mon, 10 Feb 1997 10:08:27 -0800 (PST)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        David Johnson <itech@onramp.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: HELP - mouse

On Mon, 10 Feb 1997, David Johnson wrote:

>  I have a Sharp PC-9020 laptop on which I have installed FreeBSD 2.1.6
> amd XFree86-3.2. The laptop
> has a built-in touch pad connected to Com 1, IRQ 4. When I boot up
> FreeBSD, sio0 is detected at
> 0x3f8-0x3ff irq 4 on isa as type 16550A. I can not determine what device
> it has been configured to, however.

Usually laptop mice are PS/2 devices, using the psm0 device.  (At least my
touchpad is on my CTX.)

> If i "cat < /dev/cuaa0" I get no response from touching the touch pad. I
> have been unable to bring up X as I can not find the touch pad. I have
> tried linking /dev/mouse -> /dev/cuaa0 with no luck.

That's correct...What did you set the protocol as in /etc/XF86Config?  It
should be set to "Microsoft" if it's serial or "PS/2" if it uses psm0.
Also make sure that X *is* looking at /dev/mouse and not something else.