Date:      Thu, 13 Dec 2001 11:22:45 -0800
From:      Walter McGinnis <wtem@olywa.net>
To:        Donnie Jones <donniejones18@yahoo.com>, Walter McGinnis <wtem@olywa.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: upgrade from 4.0 to 4.4 cablem firewall/router ssh problems

At 5:38 AM -0800 12/13/01, Donnie Jones wrote:
>  > Previously, I was able to ssh to remote hosts from
>  > my LAN behind my
>  > FreeBSD box, after the upgrade and resumption of
>  > cable service I
>  > can't.  I can ssh between boxes on the LAN and from
>  > the
>  > router/firewall to remote hosts.
>  >
>  > TIA,
>  >
>  > Walter McGinnis
>

>What rules do you have set up in your firewall?

I'm using natd and ipfw.  I'm starting with a an open script for the
firewall until I get this resolved:

# ipfw list
00100 divert 8668 ip from any to any via xl0
00101 allow ip from any to any via lo0
00200 deny ip from any to 127.0.0.0/8
03000 allow log logamount 100 ip from any to any
65535 deny ip from any to any

The 65535 rule concerns me, but I suspect is as a result of the
kernel being set to deny by default.  Even after a manual flush it
persists.  The other explicit rules that I write overrule 65535,
right?

>  Maybe
>you should move the firewall rules file somewhere else
>and put a new one there that is blank, in order to
>enable the firewall to pass everything through.

This what I've done:

from rc.conf:
gateway_enable="YES"
router_enable="YES"
router="routed"
router_flags="-q"
tcp_extensions="NO"
forward_sourceroute="NO"
accept_sourceroute="NO"
hostname="2512-13A.attbi.com"
firewall_enable="YES"
firewall_script="/etc/firewall-1"
firewall_quiet="NO"
natd_enable="YES"
natd_flags="-f /etc/natd.conf"
defaultrouter="12.232.151.1"
network_interfaces="xl0 lo0 rl0"
ifconfig_xl0="inet 12.232.151.171 netmask 255.255.255.0"
ifconfig_rl0="inet 10.0.0.1  netmask 255.255.255.0"
inetd_enable="NO"
sshd_enable="YES"
sendmail_enable="NO"
kern_securelevel="NO"
... (about if exept mouse, linux,and network time stuff"

in firewall-1 are all the rules except 635535.

from natd.conf:

port 8668
# same_ports
# unregistered_only
interface xl0
redirect_port tcp 10.0.0.10:8000-9000 8000-9000
redirect_port tcp 10.0.0.10:80 80
# dynamic

>Do
>your pc's on the LAN have access to the internet?  or
>are you only using them for ssh?

I had email and web access from my LAN boxes behind the router as of
last night, but this morning not even the router has WAN
web/email/ping/ssh access.  I suspect it is because the defaultrouter
(i.e. AT&T's gateway) has gone down and routed is unable to set up
routing tables (netstat -r comes up with nothing and I get console
messages from natd that the host is down).  Note that all the lights
on the modem are showing correct status and I powercycled the bastard
for good measure (turn off power, unplug power supply and ethernet
cable, leave off for a minute, plug power in, watch the pretty lights
return to normal, plug ethernet back in).  I've also switched xl0 to
"DHCP" incase I lost my lease, but that doens't work at reboot
either.  An interesting point is that I did at one time get DHCP to
work and I wrote down the IP of gateway, name server, and my box just
in case, which is what I had working last night.  I was told that the
DHCP lease was for 24 hours and it has definitely been less than that
and besides that I'm unable to get any thing from DHCP.

That being said, I'm able to ping/ssh my internal boxes from the
router and the other way around on the internal network (10.0.0...)

Another thing of note is that /etc/defaults/rc.conf seems to override
arbitrary /etc/rc.conf settings.  I've commented out duplicate lines
in /etc/defaults/rc.conf and things began to work (well except for
the ssh problem of the original post) when they were.  My
understanding is that I shouldn't have to touch /etc/defaults/rc.conf
only /etc/rc.conf, what the hell is going on with that?

>Also, any configuration files you have, such as your
>rc.conf and your firewall rules file may be helpful to
>us in answering your questions.
>
>Sorry I can't help more.. yet.

>-Donnie

I look forward to your answers.  I've been pulling my hair out for days now...

Walter McGinnis