Date:      Sat, 19 Jun 2004 07:13:01 +0100
From:      Peter Risdon <peter@circlesquared.com>
To:        LW Ellis <lwellis@mindspring.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: [FreeBSD] Seti help

LW Ellis wrote:
> I downloaded the setiathome package.
> As far as I know everything went OK.

It would have been much better to use the port, which launches you
straight into registration after make install. It's almost always better
to use the port if there is one.

> WHen I boot the system I get a message
> Run usr/local/etc/rc.d/setiathome.sh register to start seti
> I tried start with that line and got command not known

If you omitted the leading slash, this error is understandable.

> I switched over to usr/local/sbin
> setiathome start and got
> usr/libexec/ld-elf.so.1: Shared obj libc.so.4 not found.
> I read the Seti read me
> I looked in my book, and in the man pages.
> There is no run command.
> Start doesn't work.
> Is my package installed wrong, or am I not typing the right command???

As typed above, you were not typing the right command. If your shell
permits (bash et al), tab to complete each part of the path - saves time
and typos.

You need a leading slash:

     /usr/local/etc/rc.d/setiathome.sh register

HTH

Peter