Date:      Fri, 26 Oct 2001 22:31:29 +0200
From:      ies@runbox.no
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org, freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org
Subject:   Error message: Init: fatal signal: bus error (guru challenge?)

Tried this posting earlier, meager response so I try again:

I'm being thrown into single user mode after a reboot following a
successfull system upgrade from 4.3 release to 4.4 stable
(after a 'make installworld'), and 'greeted' w/ the following msg:

Waiting 5 seconds for SCSI devices to settle
Mounting root from /dev/ad0s1a
WARNING: / was not properly dismounted
<date:time> Init: fatal signal: bus error
Enter full pathname of shell or press RETURN for /bin/sh

Trying to exit single user mode will repeat
the last 2 lines of the above msg.

'fsck -y' reveals no error(s) on my partitions, but
'/sbin/shutdown -r now' displays the msg.:

'init: /etc/rc.shutdown returned status 10'

Tried shutting off and rebooting, but the problem persists.
I am forced to use Windows until this is fixed, please help !!

yours,

Inge E. Syvertsen
webdude@phreaker.net

*** Better safe than sorry makes for much less time to worry ***