Date:      Fri, 9 Mar 2001 10:00:29 -0600
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        hawk <hawk@fac13.ds.psu.edu>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: invisible files in /usr/tmp ???

hawk <hawk@fac13.ds.psu.edu> types:
> mike mentioned
> > hawk <hawk@fac13.ds.psu.edu> types:
> > > I'm having a problem with files in /usr/tmp becoming "invisible."
> > Being "invisble" implies that they are still there, but you can't see
> > them. What makes you think they are still there?
> When I try to download again, netscape apparently sees them and asks if
> I want to overwrite.
>
> > > Typically, this comes when downloading a file with netscape.  ls then
> > > can see the file, and that it's copying over it if I download again,
> > > but ls cannot see the files.
>
> > I can't parse this. Please try again.
>
> I download a file, apparently successfully.  I look in /usr/tmp, but it
> shows no evidence of being there.  I then tell netscape to download
> again, and it asks if it should overwrite the file.

It really sounds to me like a netscape bug - it's getting an old copy
of the directory listing. Are you by any chance running the linux
version of netscape? If so, there have been recent changes to the file
caching code in linux that may be relevant. I'm running -stable as of
the end of February, and I can't recreate the problem. You might try
the BSD version of Netscape and see if that changes things. If it does
and you're running -stable from March, you might try rolling back to
Feb 26 or so, and see how that works.

	<mike