Date:      Wed, 13 Apr 2005 11:08:02 -0400
From:      Ken Smith <kensmith@cs.Buffalo.EDU>
To:        Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@phk.freebsd.dk>
Cc:        David Xu <davidxu@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: HEADS-UP: Planning on deprecating libc_r for 6.0

On Wed, 2005-04-13 at 16:48 +0200, Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:
> In message <425D302C.1060006@samsco.org>, Scott Long writes:
>
> >> The user can disable it by adding a line in libmap.conf so let us
> > not invent more handles to tweak but point the user at the right
> >> one.
> >>

> >Well, the worry is that there are legacy apps out there that rely on
> >features/bugs only found in libc_r, therefore the user can't just
> >switch.
>
> They'll have two years to find out if they start looking now.
>
> The more weird handles we add for people to tweak the worse FreeBSD
> becomes as a result.

I've been bitten by this stuff in the past so I'd appreciate having this
particular weird handle.  Scenario goes something like this:

	- Update base OS system
	- <Vendor's backup package> stops working
	- Grumble...
	- Diagnose it, turns out the client widget from vendor
	  is using an old library interface which is now emitting
	  a helpful warning message saying it's been depreciated
	  which is interfering with the protocol between the
	  client and server.
	- Begin discussion with vendor suggesting they update
	  their client widget but at the moment they don't have
	  a newer version

It's somewhat annoying to not be able to turn off the helpful warning
message in a simple way for someone managing more than a small handful
of machines.

--
                                                Ken Smith
- From there to here, from here to      |       kensmith@cse.buffalo.edu