Date:      Sun, 16 Apr 2000 01:35:56 -0400
From:      Davis Doherty <dd002f@mail.rochester.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   problems with the ep driver

	Well, after sticking with FreeBSD 3.2 for a while, I decided I
wanted to upgrade to 4.0. I prefer doing an FTP install, so I went through
the steps, and the first weird thing I noticed is that the GENERIC kernel
booted with an entry for ep0 and ep1, even though I only have a single
3c509 ISA card; I then entered in the appropriate net info for ep0, and I
was rewarded with a system hang. Hmm. I started over, and tried setting up
ep1 just for fun. It worked, but now I was getting horrendously slow
transfer rates. Hmm again. Finally, I decided to install off of my fresh
subscription CDs. Everything worked, but I still got the ep0 and ep1
appearing in the GENERIC kernel during boot. I noticed it said something
like "unable to wake eeprom" next to the ep0 line (actually, lines - there
were several like this) during boot; ep1 was a happy camper, however.
After setting up ep1, transfers were really slow, as before. How do I go
about solving this mess, starting with forcing the system to realize I
only have a single ep NIC card? Thanks muchly for any help you can offer.
	Forgive me if this has already been answered; I looked through the
mailing list archives, but I did not find this there (and I am not
actually subscribed to this mailing list).

-Davis

"He who knows best knows how little he knows."
			-Thomas Jefferson