Date:      Thu, 21 Feb 2002 11:11:46 -0600 (CST)
From:      Scott Pilz <tech@vikrant.tznet.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Sendmail Problems

	I realize that sendmail has their own mailing list but it's hard
to get an answer from them. I'm sure that someone here knows the answer to
my question.

	I've tried this on over 4 different BSD machines, of different
versions. Ranging from 3.1 to 4.5.

	The default configs (ie, deliverymode) for sendmail are stored in
/etc/mail/sendmail.cf. You are soposed to be able to override these with
command line arguments such as "sendmail -bd
-ODeliveryMode=queueonly". Although it doesn't error out, and it appears
to have taken it - it still uses the defaults for /etc/mail/sendmail.cf. I
can't seem to figure out why.

	What I'm trying to do is to install MailScanner and it requires
two copies of sendmail running:

sendmail -bd -ODeliveryMode=queueonly
-OQueueDirectory=/var/spool/mqueue.in

sendmail -q15m

Thus having all the mail queue first into /var/spool/mqueue.in and then
mailscanner would handle it from there, placing it into /var/mail/mqueue
and triggering sendmail -q . . .

I haven't even gotten mail scanner setup yet because of this sendmail
problem. I do the above commands and mail still is queued in mqueue (not
mqueue.in) and delivered immeditely. Yet, I can make these changes in
sendmail.cf, and it works proper.

	Any ideas?

Scott