Date:      Fri, 9 Mar 2001 10:15:20 -0600
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        Andrew Hesford <ajh3@cec.wustl.edu>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Building kernels (Was: Mounting Linux EXT2FS to a FreeBSD Filesystem)

Andrew Hesford <ajh3@cec.wustl.edu> types:
> If I understand correctly, this method for building the kernel is
> becoming deprecated. I don't think it even works in -current.

No, it's not depreciated. It works in -current. That not working would
make kernel development much more painful.

> In order to remain consistent with the process of building a new kernel
> when you rebuild the world, the proper method for compiling a kernel is
> now:
>
> 1) Edit the config files, for instance /sys/i386/conf/MYHOST
> 2) Go into /usr/src
> 3) Run `make buildkernel KERNCONF=MYHOST`
> 4) Run `make installkernel KERNCONF=MYHOST`
>
> It would be better for new users just to start learning the new method,
> since no retraining will be necessary later. This method uses the
> programs in /usr/obj if they are available, ensuring that the kernel and
> userland are always in sync and built correctly (especially when you
> build a new kernel after rebuilding the world, but you haven't installed
> the world yet).

Not quite. The only time it makes a difference is if you have source
that's newer than the running system and have done a buildworld, but
not an installworld. Under those conditions, the "make buildkernel"
method is what's supported. If the source is for the running system,
either will work. If the source is newer than the running system but
you haven't done a "make buildworld", then both will break the same
way.

That said - if you don't do a lot of kernel work, forget about config
et al., and just do "make kernel" (which is buildkernel and
installkernel in one go). Just make sure you've done a "make
buildworld" after updating the sources. After you install the built
sources, you can clean up and still be fine.

	<mike