Date:      Wed, 30 May 2007 02:08:30 +0100
From:      "Steven Hartland" <killing@multiplay.co.uk>
To:        "John-Mark Gurney" <gurney_j@resnet.uoregon.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org, Colin Percival <cperciva@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: bug in BSD tar?

----- Original Message -----
From: "John-Mark Gurney" <gurney_j@resnet.uoregon.edu>
> Is the file incorrect when extracted?  or is this a mater of gtar throwing
> an error because of the tar format, and an option to bsdtar could be provided
> to change the output tar format?

The file is correct when extracted but gtar is, as you say, throwing
an error because of the tar format. The exit error is the issue as in
a scripted environment, as we have, the error causes the failure of the
whole operation.

== bsd tar archived ==
tar -xvzf test.tar.gz
tar: Ignoring unknown extended header keyword `SCHILY.dev'
tar: Ignoring unknown extended header keyword `SCHILY.ino'
tar: Ignoring unknown extended header keyword `SCHILY.nlink'
cantiquedeno\353l1_loop.wav
[root@dev3]/tmp: cksum cantiquedeno\353l1_loop.wav
1601232891 1766066 cantiquedenoël1_loop.wav

== gnu tar archived ==
[root@dev3]/tmp: tar -xvzf test1.tar.gz
cantiquedeno\353l1_loop.wav
[root@dev3]/tmp: cksum cantiquedeno\353l1_loop.wav
1601232891 1766066 cantiquedenoël1_loop.wav

    Regards
    Steve

or return the E.mail to postmaster@multiplay.co.uk.