Date:      08 Nov 2001 17:39:13 +0200
From:      Jussi Reissell <reissell@cc.helsinki.fi>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Printing suddenly got difficult ...

I have a nice little HP deskjet which has been working perfectly so
far with apsfilter, gs and the rest of the printing stuff.

After I did a bit of upgrading things got out of hand. I upgraded KDE
to  2.2 and it insisted on installing cups. Now I have the lp, lpr,
lpq etc binaries in two places. The standard ones in /usr/(s)bin and
binaries with the same name in /usr/local/(s)bin. The cups installed
things don't seem do anything intelligent (at least without further
configuring, which I'm not about to do) but they are on the search
path and get mixed up with the original good ones. So I have to run
around just to use, say, mpage.

Why does KDE insist on installing cups, when the original BSD printing
is a configuration option within KDE? How many different printer
configuration options does one need? Can I just pkg_delete -f cups?
What will KDE say if I do that?

Then, upgrading ghostscript made my printings awfully dark. Made it
impossible to print legible double-sided prints. Tried twiddling
with the ghostscript switch -dMasterGamma. No effect. Then tried the
more esoteric tweak from the man page: including a
{0.9 exp} settransfer
before the actual printjob. No effect whatsoever. With different
gamma-values. So, does anybody have an idea on how to change the gamma
with the cdj880 gs driver?

And, a2ps seems screwed. Now what happened to that? If I try to run it
I get a
a2ps:/usr/local/share/a2ps/sheets/sheets.map:50: unexpected character `*'
message and the show stops there. How can I fix this? There seems to
be tons of '*' characters in the sheets.map file, so the one on line 50
doesn't seem to be too out of place. Any ideas?