Date:      Wed, 25 Oct 2017 23:03:48 +0200
From:      Ralf Wenk <iz-rpi03@hs-karlsruhe.de>
To:        Sylvain Garrigues <sylgar@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-arm@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: rpi3 - changing MAC address of ue0 between GENERIC and  GENERIC-NODEBUG kernels

Hello,

Sylvain Garrigues <sylgar=40gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>=20
> > Le 24 oct. 2017 =E0 09:33, Ralf Wenk <iz-rpi03=40hs-karlsruhe.de> a =
=E9crit :
> >=20
> > the MAC address of the ue0 interface on my
> > rpi 3 is changing=20
>=20
> In the RPI case, the MAC address as seen by FreeBSD is read by the
> if_smc kernel driver from the mac-address or the local-mac-address
> property of the boot dtb (see code in sys/dev/usb/net/if_smc.c).
> Otherwise it is indeed set to a random value during boot.=20
>=20
> Obviously the stock DTB (either upstream ones or FreeBSD ones) don’t
> know the MAC address, so the actual and real HW MAC address is
> initialized by the rpi firmware in the node pointed to by the
> “ethernet” alias in the dtb.=20

oh. I had the expectation =22when it works as expected for an RPI B and
a B+ it will/should also work for an RPI 3=22.

> There were changes a few months ago both in upstream DTBs and firmware
> related about this: see for instance
> https://github.com/raspberrypi/firmware/issues/846 and
> https://github.com/raspberrypi/firmware/commit/23047785b7414111cb7cb80a=
a9d0042c99fae437
>=20
> You may want to try to download / compile more recent versions of
> firmware / DTB / u-boot than the 2017.01 from ports and check if
> they solved this issue.
>=20
> Sylvain

OK, so I will try the current raspbian first to get the hopefully
constant MAC address for my board from there. After that I will try
the newer versions step by step.

Thank you.

Ralf