Date:      Fri, 13 Apr 2001 12:16:04 -0700
From:      "Robert L Sowders" <rsowders@usgs.gov>
To:        Andrew Hesford <ajh3@chmod.ath.cx>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, lists <lists@vivdev.com>, owner-freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Ports versus ports

You might be able to grasp this better if you stop trying to associate the
term port with physical objects or things.  The term "port" is used to
signify the place where you gain access or exit, the ausfart or einfart.
The term port can apply to all IO of a computer system be it software, or
hardware, or tcpip sockets.

When you port over a program to run on a particular operating system, you
are just providing the correct paths and hooks into the operating system
that are different from the old one.

Andrew Hesford <ajh3@chmod.ath.cx>
Sent by: owner-freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
04/13/2001 01:00 AM