Date:      Mon, 27 Jul 1998 18:14:52 -0700
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        Frank McConnell <fmc@reanimators.org>
Cc:        Robert Swindells <swindellsr@genrad.co.uk>, mike@smith.net.au, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, faber@isi.edu
Subject:   Re: AMD PCNet/FAST cards; suppliers?

> Robert Swindells <swindellsr@genrad.co.uk> wrote:
> > I may have spoken too soon about the driver in stable being OK.
> >
> > There was a change committed on July 20 which looks like it will break
> > probing of the PCnet-II chip.
>
> I seem to have run afoul of another part of this change.  I'm not sure
> if it's due to hardware misconfiguration on my part, but the way it
> behaves is bothersome.

No, you're correct, and I slipped on this.  The ID that is tested for
is the generic ID for the 79c971, not a Hitachi-specific ID, and I
didn't realise that.  We do need a better probe for the Hitachi case.

> For all I know there is some way to tell the card not to do the ISA
> emulation, but that's been pushed to the copious free time list so I
> may not find out soon.

No.  ISA and PCI share an I/O space, but that's about it.

I'm sorry; this is breakage in both 2.2.7 and -current, and we're going
to need a better way of identifying the problem cases like the Hitachi
(or a better workaround).  8(