Date:      Sun, 18 Jan 2004 19:48:39 +0100
From:      "Daan Vreeken [PA4DAN]" <Danovitsch@Vitsch.net>
To:        George Hartzell <hartzell@kestrel.alerce.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: ftp authentication problem

On Sunday 18 January 2004 19:39, Peter Ulrich Kruppa wrote:
> On Sun, 18 Jan 2004, asker survey wrote:
> > Hello everybody;
> > =09I upgraded my 4.4 FreeBSD to 4.9. I backed up the
> > /usr/home directory and /etc/*. After installing
> > FreeBSD 4.9 I copied passwd , master.passwd and the
> > home directories. Now the users can log in through
> > telnet or ssh. But when trying to access ftp this
> > message is displayed after typing the username:
> > =09530 User testuser access denied.
> > =09Login failed.
> Please check, if the ftp line in /etc/inetd.conf is uncommented.
> If not, remove the # and reboot.
You wouldn't get "530 access denied" if ftp is disabled in inetd.conf . I=
f it=20
was you would have gotten "connection refused".

Check if the user "testuser" has a valid shell that is listed in /etc/she=
lls .
There are some more criteria a user has to comply to before it is allowed=
 to=20
use ftp, for more details see "man ftpd".

grtz,
Daan