Date:      Sun, 26 May 2002 12:38:55 +0200
From:      Axel Scheepers <axel@axel.truedestiny.net>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   dhclient

Hello All,

I have some problems running dhclient. The fact is I get
crippled information from my dhcpd at the moment, mostly
something like: Y:62.163.5.172 G:62.163.185.129 or
Y:212.163.185.172 G:62.163.185.129. These combinations
will never work with the supllied netmask of 0xffffc0.
That dhcpd problem is being fixed, but I thought dhclient
should exit with an error code when it encounters
something like this?
Whenever I start dhclient at that specific host, it just
keeps trying to get an ip, even when I specify -1 at the
command line. Tcpdump shows the requests and the (wrong)
answers being sent, but the script doesn't seem to do
anything with it. Man dhclient speaks of a -D switch
to save the script it uses in /tmp but when I use that
dhclient tells me the switch doesn't exist. (Is that the
same /sbin/dhclient-script by default?)

I really like to get some more information about this
matter and wondered if anyone could give me some urls
or other starting points about it.
Since the box executes dhclient at boot it would also
be nice to make that -1 thing to work too, since now
it just hangs at the network setup (without starting
the rest from rc.conf :( )

Any ideas/suggestions are welcome ;-)

Gr,
--