Date:      Sat, 19 Aug 2000 17:40:02 -0400
From:      "Robert Stanley" <ttc12273@taconic.net>
To:        <questions@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   hang in install

------=_NextPart_000_0005_01C00A04.80D58E00

Hello,

    I'm trying to install freebsd(4.1) on an old laptop (old notejet 486 =
with 8M of ram). I copied over (after downloading to my desktop) the =
binary dist, the manual pages, docs, info, and games -- using interlink. =
On my laptop i put them into the C:\freebsd\bin  ..\manpages  ..\docs =
..\info and ..\games directories. The rebooted the computer with install =
disk in. I configured the kernel removing conflicts (7 netcards and 1 pc =
card were in conflic, i removed the netcards) It said pc card (slot(s)) =
detected is this the medium you wish to use, i said no, then selected =
ms-dos partition. I then went and made the slice (the HD is 800M and =
when i used fdisk the last time i gave DOS-WIN 300M and left the rest =
for freebsd) and made a 350M slice for freebsd, i used to autoconfigure =
to break it up and continued. I then selected the various distributions =
i wanted under the custum>> tag. hit enter and agreed this was what i =
really wanted to do.. after about  2 seconds the machine stopped, this =
is what was displayed

making a new root filesystem on /dev/rad0s2a (i waited about 30 minutes =
then gave up)

I've never installed any version of *inx before (this project is to get =
my feet wet) and any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance, Stanley

------=_NextPart_000_0005_01C00A04.80D58E00

<HTML><HEAD>
http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Hello,</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; I'm trying to =
install=20
freebsd(4.1) on an old laptop (old notejet 486 with 8M of ram). I copied =
over=20
(after downloading to my desktop) the binary dist, the manual pages, =
docs, info,=20
and games -- using interlink. On my laptop i put them into the=20
C:\freebsd\bin&nbsp; ..\manpages&nbsp; ..\docs ..\info and ..\games =
directories.=20
The rebooted the computer with install disk in. I configured the kernel =
removing=20
conflicts (7 netcards and 1 pc card were in conflic, i removed the =
netcards) It=20
said pc card (slot(s)) detected is this the medium you wish to use, i =
said no,=20
then selected ms-dos partition. I then went and made the slice (the HD =
is 800M=20
and when i used fdisk the last time i gave DOS-WIN 300M and left the =
rest for=20
freebsd) and made a 350M slice for freebsd, i used to autoconfigure to =
break it=20
up and continued. I then selected the various distributions i wanted =
under the=20
custum&gt;&gt; tag. hit enter and agreed this was what i really wanted =
to do..=20
after about&nbsp; 2 seconds the machine stopped, this is what was=20
displayed</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>making a new root filesystem on =
/dev/rad0s2a (i=20
waited about 30 minutes then gave up)</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I've never installed any version of =
*inx before=20
(this project is to get my feet wet) and any help would be=20
appreciated.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Thanks in advance,=20
Stanley</FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0005_01C00A04.80D58E00--