Date:      Thu, 21 Feb 2002 11:36:43 -0600
From:      Dan Nelson <dnelson@allantgroup.com>
To:        btt@nethouse.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Meaning of process states

In the last episode (Feb 21), btt@nethouse.com said:
> Hi,
>
> Where can I find out what the various process states like: nanslp,
> poll, accept, and my favorite: piperd mean? I found this:
>
> http://www.geocrawler.com/mail/msg.php3?msg_id=4752744&list=151
>
> which mentions that top is showing the sleep/wait channel.
> What is a wait channel, and what differentiates one from the other?

When a process asks the kernel to do something via a syscall and the
kernel can't return control back to the process immediately, it calls
tsleep/msleep() to wait for an event to happen.  One of the parameters
to tsleep is "wmesg", which is just a string describing what you're
waiting for.  That's what top displays.  "nanslp" is a timed delay,
"poll" is obvious, "accept" is obvious, and "piperd" means the process
is waiting for incoming data on a pipe.  If you're bored, you can grep
the kernel sources and find all the possible wmesg values.

--
	Dan Nelson
	dnelson@allantgroup.com