Date:      Thu, 11 Apr 2002 19:28:55 -0500
From:      boggy <nl3481@wi.rr.com>
To:        Andrew Swift <alswift@worldnet.att.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re:

Andrew Swift wrote:

> Hello. I recently purchased two new laptops from Dell. One is called
> the Smartstep 100N and the other is a Inspiron 2600. I can't seem to
> find anything online about either of these working with freeBSD. I
> know that freeBSD should work with the CPU(intel Celeron and 1.0gig
> pentium 3) and motherboards, but I am a bit worried that there will
> not be drivers for the sound, video, and drives(CD-ROM and Floppy). Do
> you know of where i can find these drivers?

Andrew, as far as worrying if FreeBSD will work on your laptop(s),
DON'T! Just try it. Load it with the most recent, STALE BSD, 4.5-STABLE
and give it a whirl. About getting your peripherals working, what kind
of devices do you have? modem, NIC, sound, etc. Once you get FreeBSD
loaded onto the laptop, it's easier to twek from there. You can read the
LINT file to guide you along for your device configs.

Hope this helps.
Nick