Date:      Mon, 17 Apr 2000 09:19:13 +0200
From:      Sheldon Hearn <sheldonh@uunet.co.za>
To:        Dennis Ostrovsky <denis.ostrovsky@yale.edu>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Install problems - multiple frees

On Sat, 15 Apr 2000 20:28:27 -0400, Dennis Ostrovsky wrote:

> Booting from floppies. At various points during various installation I get
> a kernel panic, multiple frees is the error, and then it reboots. Is this
> a sign of bad hardware? Is my RAM bad? I have never had trouble in the
> past, but recently weird stuff has been happening both in Windows and on
> the BSD partition on my primary drive.

My first suspect in trying to sort this out on my own box would be
hardware, yes.  You haven't recently started overclocking, have you?  If
so, try running your CPU at the prescribed speed.  If not, it's time to
make sure your CPU cooling equipment is still functional, that your
pluggable bits haven't come loose.  Failing that, it's probably time to
start swapping bits out. :-)

Ciao,
Sheldon.