Date:      Tue, 04 Mar 2003 09:03:15 -0800
From:      Orion Hodson <orion@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        "Daniel O'Connor" <doconnor@gsoft.com.au>
Cc:        Charles Sprickman <spork@inch.com>, stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: soundblaster live(!) and -stable

| There was a commit recently about no sound for the SB Live in 5.x, but I
| don't know if that applies.

Just FTR, this doesn't apply to the -STABLE branch.

| Also, as you say the question marks may indicate untested or poorly
| tested code.

I don't know the origin of the question marks.  It's just what the name
happens to be in the table of AC97 codec names - I suspect it is short for
"unknown", but it's certainly not a great choice and is no longer represented
this way in -CURRENT.  There are tens, maybe hundreds, of AC97 codecs in
existence, the sound people don't encounter most of them.  They are all
supposed to comply with the AC97 spec and work out-of-the box.  However, as
with any standard there are a few deviants and this may be one.  It might
require vendor specific initialization.  Or might it be a later revision of
the emu10k1 h/w that the driver does not deal with in some way.

- Orion