Date:      Sun, 23 Nov 2003 09:52:35 +0000
From:      Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>
To:        Ben Dover <nuckingfutsto@hotmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: pidentd troubles

--4bRzO86E/ozDv8r1

On Sat, Nov 22, 2003 at 03:28:09PM -0500, Ben Dover wrote:
> I was running pidentd server in fbsd 5.1 and ran into a problem.  On rebo=
ot=20
> thousands of identd processes would be created.  This caused an enormous=
=20
> problem as you can imagine.  I ended up doing a pkg_delete of pidentd.  H=
as=20
> anyone had this happen?
>=20
> I need a reliable ident server; can anyone recommend one from ports?

Why not use the ident server built into inetd(8)?  No extra ports
required.

=46rom the default inetd.conf:

    # Provide internally a real "ident" service which provides ~/.fakeid su=
pport,
    # provides ~/.noident support, reports UNKNOWN as the operating system =
type
    # and times out after 30 seconds.
    #
    auth   stream  tcp     nowait  root    internal        auth -r -f -n -o=
 UNKNOWN -t 30
    auth   stream  tcp6    nowait  root    internal        auth -r -f -n -o=
 UNKNOWN -t 30

	Cheers,

	Matthew

--=20