Date:      18 Mar 2002 01:16:10 -0500
From:      Joe Marcus Clarke <marcus@marcuscom.com>
To:        Nathan Mace <nmace85@yahoo.com>
Cc:        Walter Hop <walter@binity.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: /dev/nsmb*

--=-L3ho1oVziSMfOhEK5QE+

On Mon, 2002-03-18 at 00:39, Nathan Mace wrote:
> On Monday 18 March 2002 12:08 am, Walter Hop wrote:
> >
> > > whenever i try to mount a samba share on freebsd-4.5 i get the
> > > following error:
> > >
> > > can't get handle to requester (no /dev/nsmb* device)
> >
> > Have you tried making the nsmb0 device by:
> >
> >   % cd /dev
> >   % sh ./MAKEDEV nsmb0
>=20
> i get a "nsmb0 - no such name"

Are you sure this is FreeBSD 4.5?  The nsmb* device is listed in
MAKEDEV, and works for me.  From /dev/MAKEDEV:=20

nsmb*)
    unit=3D`expr $i : 'nsmb\(.*\)'`
    mknod nsmb$unit c 144 $unit
    ;;

If you're sure you have the right MAKEDEV script, make sure you're not
trying to run it with bash.  The sh you should be using is the Bourne
shell that shipped with FreeBSD.

I have noticed that when running in a SMP configuration, using the smbfs
kernel modules doesn't work.  You have to hardcode the SMB stuff into
the kernel.  However, on single CPU configs, what you're doing works.

Joe

>=20
> nathan
>=20