Date:      Sat, 14 Jan 2006 21:52:13 +0000
From:      "SPYRIDON PAPADOPOULOS" <SP373@student.apu.ac.uk>
To:        home_post01@yahoo.co.jp
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: OS use rate

home_post01@yahoo.co.jp wrote:

>-----Original Message-----
>From: n-n <home_post01@yahoo.co.jp>
>To: questions@freebsd.org
>Date: Sat, 14 Jan 2006 22:33:26 +0900 (JST)
>Subject: OS use rate

>OS use rate in my project.=20
>2005/01/10 - 2006/01/10
>RedHat Enterprise Linux ES3.0 - 3947
>RedHat Enterprise Linux AS3.0 - 1287
>Sun Solaris 9 - 583
>*BSD - 0

Are these from a magazine? Did you want to tease the list? How would you ex=
pect to get responses that may help you in your project with such posts? =
...just curious.

Well your post doesn't really make sense, but i will tell you what i think.
Lets make something clear:
1.
http://www.redhat.com/en_us/USA/rhel/compare/server/
Red Hat Enterprise Linux ES=3D=3D> Basic Edition: $349
                           =3D=3D> Standard Edition: $799
2.
http://www.sun.com/software/solaris/index.jsp
Check it...even if it is for free, i didn't search to much, they sell it wi=
th their servers, etc etc. In which case you need their support as well, =
etc etc. Keywords: License, budget, money, financial.

Obviously the comparison above is wrong since is comparing dissimilar thing=
s.

Magazines, papers and websites are not trustful when money is behind it. Yo=
u are talking about a project so think more about your sources. What was =
their intentions?
By the way i found another comparison here:
http://www.sun.com/software/solaris/index.jsp
As you can see there are no BSDs in this list? I suppose because there is a=
 difference between them and BSDs. Can you see the difference?
(If i am wrong please someone correct me!)
I have more objectives...
* If Solaris is more popular (well it is maybe, because of marketing issues=
, but not because of its sources) why there is only a www.google.com/bsd(=
!) and not ~/solaris or ~/redhat. :o). I am sure you know that google is =
very popular, isn't it?
* I can find BSD referenced under the most important things i worked, in co=
mputing until today.

Conclusion:
The above list/comparison, do not mean anything to me. think more next time=
 and make your thoughts clear so you can get better answers, than the one=
s you got!
People reading posts in this list can configure BSDs to work like Solaris, =
AIX, Red Hat Enterprise Solutions, exaclty as the people that work for SU=
N or IBM. If you don't then your only choice is a "company" that will do =
everything for you! For a price!
This list seems to be for learning and not for announcements like the one y=
ou posted.

The fact BSD are older, also implies who copied what in the past and from w=
hom. I logically suppose!

Spiros

=20
"

make your thoughts clear so you can get better answers, than the ones you g=
ot!
People reading posts in this list can configure BSDs to work like Solaris, =
AIX, Red Hat Enterprise Solutions, exaclty as the people that work for SU=
N or IBM. If you don't then your only choice is a "company" that will do =
everything for you! For a price!
This list seems to be for learning and not for announcements like the one y=
ou posted.

The fact BSD are older, also implies who copied what in the past and from w=
hom. I logically suppose!

Spiros

Yahoo