Date:      Sat, 9 May 1998 08:20:57 +0300
From:      TOKER ONUR <onur@dpc107.dpc.kfupm.edu.sa>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   How to get major device numbers ???

Hello folks,

     If I know the name of the device (e.g. ed0), how can I get its
major device number. Please don't write me to look at /dev directory
because it is not there, although I am using ed0 for network access.
Basically, a device node is not created for ed0 and I want to generate
a /dev/ed0, but I need the major device number.

     Where is the mapping between device names and device numbers ?

Thanks