Date:      Sat, 26 Feb 2000 05:06:09 -0600
From:      Gerd Knops <gerti@bitart.com>
To:        David Malone <dwmalone@maths.tcd.ie>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: inetd -l does not log

David Malone wrote:
> > I have this in my syslog.conf *amingst other things):
> >
> > !inetd
> > *.*                   /dev/console
> >
> > And I did HUP syslogd. killed inetd, and run it 'by hand' using 'inetd -d
> > -l -w -W'. No dice.
>
> One thing that isn't immediately obvious is that the logging is controled
> by tcp wrappers code if the service is wrapped. However you should ger log
> messages anyway. It seems to work for me on 3.4:
>
> walton# cat /tmp/inetd.conf
> dbbrowse        stream  tcp     nowait  dwmalone        /bin/cat /etc/fstab
>
> walton# inetd -d -w -W -l /tmp/inetd.conf
> ADD : dbbrowse proto=tcp accept=1 max=0 user=dwmalone group=(null)
> class=daemon builtin=0x0 server=/bin/cat
> inetd: enabling dbbrowse, fd 4
> inetd: registered /bin/cat on 4
> inetd: someone wants dbbrowse
> inetd: accept, ctrl 6
> inetd: + closing from 5
> inetd: 89797 execl /bin/cat
> inetd: Handling signal flag C
> inetd: 89797 reaped, status 0
> ^C

That I get with or without the -l flag to inetd. What I really wanted though
is the remote IP, as those paragraphs from the inetd man page promise:

     When given the -l option inetd will log an entry to syslog each time a
     connection is accepted, noting the service selected and the IP-number of
     the remote requestor if available.

     If the -l option is specified, all connection attempts are logged,
     whether they are allowed, denied or not wrapped at all. Otherwise, only
     denied requests will be logged.

Gerd