Date:      Wed, 25 Mar 1998 22:42:51 +0500 (ES)
From:      Konstantin Chuguev <joy@urc.ac.ru>
To:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   chflags on NFS

Hi all.

For security reasons I do not allow access to my build-server
(the one with cvsup-, current- and stable- source tree + /usr/obj) by
NFS. Instead, I mount (/,/usr,/var)-triples from other servers and
routers, and install fresh STABLEs to NFS-servers.

I decided to do so after I had discovered that read-only access to the
source tree is not enough to install the distribution.

As all goes through 100Mb full-duplex, it is not significantly slower
than install-from-NFS-server mode.

The only problem is I cannot chflags [no]schg through NFS :-(
So I have to know all the files with immutable flag set in the
distribution. It was easy to do:
find . -name Makefile | grep schg
	and
find . -name Makefile | grep PRECIOUSLIB

+ a bit of wildcarding work.

But I'd like to do all that automatically.

If you don't find that security reason serious, there is another
example:

My build-server and FTP-server are different machines, and now
I'm making 2.2.6-RELEASE. The same problem :-)

--
	Konstantin V. Chuguev.		System administrator of
					Ural Regional Center of FREEnet,