Date:      Fri, 9 Mar 2001 10:40:09 -0800 (PST)
From:      Adam Lau <adamlau@yahoo.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   General ipf and CVSup Questions

ip-fil3.4.16 installation information:

make freebsd3
make install-bsd
FreeBSD-3/kinstall
build a new kernel
install the new kernel
if not using DEVFS, create devices for IP Filter as follows:
		mknod /dev/ipl c 79 0
		mknod /dev/ipnat c 79 1
		mknod /dev/ipstate c 79 2
		mknod /dev/ipauth c 79 3
reboot

ipf documentation mentions 'make freebsd3' and 'make freebsd4' does not work
for a FreeBSD 4.2-RELEASE box. What is the arguement to 'make' for a
4.2-RELEASE box?

For 'make install-bsd', would it be better to do a 'make all install
clean-bsd'?

What does the step FreeBSD-3/kinstall refer to?

How do I know if I am using DEVFS? I am assuming this is the special devices
(/dev) filesystem? But I remember an option DEVFS in LINT that I did not
compile in. So am I using DEVFS?

Also, I want to remove the current implementation of ipf and build the latest
version in its place. Is the ipf-purge script located at
http://www.freebsddiary.org/ipf-purge.html still valid?

I hear some people say that ipf as a LKM is more secure than ipf compiled into
the kernel. Is this true?

It seems as if the ipfilter and ipnat flags refer to the options listed in
their respective manpages. Is this true?

I want to CVSup required sources w/o certain ones such as src/games. I
understand to use a refuse file, but do not know which programs in FreeBSD are
covered by the GNU Public License. If I refused src/gnu, what would end up
breaking? tar? Others? Should I simply CVSup src/gnu, just to be safe? TIA.

=====

Adam Lau
USAsportspick.com http://www.usasportspick.com/
209 Clary Avenue