Date:      Wed, 14 Oct 1998 22:36:32 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Barrett Richardson <rabtter@aye.net>
To:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   strange routing anomoly

We have several FreeBSD boxes on the same network as our portmasters.
The dial up lines are on a different class C network. What is
happening is an arp entry is lost for a portmaster after a period
of inactivity (normal). We have been relying on redirects from
our router (which is a FreeBSD box) to restablish routes to the
dialup lines via a portmaster (rip and ospf are partially broken
on our portmasters). I can ping the dialup line, and get
a redirect from the router on every single packet, even though
an arp entry for the portmaster and route for the dialup ip get
restablished on the first packet. The response times for the
pings are horrible (over 1 second). I can kill ping, run it again,
and thinks are ok (responses around a couple of milliseconds).
Occasionally, during the night a user dials up and ftp's a sizable file
from a server that has been quiet for a while, and it just kills
our network.

We're in the process of revamping the network to separate portmasters
from servers at which point it'll cease to be a problem, it's
just puzzleing. Is there a lot of overhead associated with generating
redirects on a FreeBSD box?

-

Barrett Richardson        rabtter@aye.net