Date:      Fri, 13 Apr 2001 16:06:31 -0400
From:      Mikel <mikel@ocsinternet.com>
To:        "Jonathan M. Slivko" <optix@nyc.rr.com>
Cc:        james.knoll@saic.com, "'freebsd-questions@freebsd.org'" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Road Runner and FreeBSD

And that is as it should be with most dhcient requests. However here in
NY, and a few other places around the country, you MUST send the RR server
the proper PASSWORD as  the RR personnel called (silly cluesless bastards)
in order to receive an IP. As it turns out their servers, here, are set up
to only respone if you provide the MAC address.

As for dhcpd, you have to at the very least assign a scope, netmask, and
default gateway before the server can dole out IPs. Don't get the dhcp
client confused with the dhcpd server.

Oh yes and I did forget one thing in /etc/rc.conf it is a goot idea to
add;
ifconfig_YOUR-INTERFACE="dhcp"

so that rc.networks will start the whole dhclient routine...