Date:      Sat, 19 Aug 2000 22:28:19 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        Rahul Siddharthan <rsidd@physics.iisc.ernet.in>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: emacs vs. vim & xterm vs. eterm vs. rxvt

Rahul Siddharthan writes:
> > 1. What should I use, emacs or vim? I tried both and I can make up my mind.
> > I would like to know what you guys use and what are the advantages of each
> > one.
> Use what you like.  Do a mailing list search for examples of flamewars
> about these.  Personally I use vim, but that could be because having
> become comfortable with it I didn't want to confront another learning
> curve with emacs.

Yup - it's a matter of taste.

> > 2. What are the differances between xterm, eterm and rxvt? I read somewhere
> > that rxvt uses less swap space. Which should I use?
> rxvt seems to be the most lightweight of the three.  I'm not aware
> of any particular advantage xterm has over it.  eterm (and
> gnome-terminal etc) are flashier.  But, again, use what
> you like.

When I looked at rxvt and eterm, none of them supported twiddling
translations so I can use the keyboard to scroll through history and
paste from the keyboard. It may or may not let you set character
classes, which I also use. On the other hand, one or both of them let
you create windows with background that are images or transparent.

	<mike