Date:      Mon, 27 Jan 1997 9:18:18 -0800
From:      gregs@mail.wacom.com
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Quits responding to IP

***WARNING***
I am a newbie! I know a _tiny_ bit about UNIX. I am a
Netware/DOS/Windows/OS/2 Guy. I am a Netware administrator who is playing
with FreeBSD and Apache.
***END WARNING***
Now, if you still want to help me...Thanks!

I have a new server running the current release of FBSD. Standard FTP
pull.
Running apache as a HTTPD.

We have a general IP feed via T1.

Hardware 486-66 w/ 16MB RAM 400MB HDD (IDE) Intel Ether express 16 - set
as per FAQ.
I also tried a 3C509 - (but didn't disable the PnP stuff <frown> )

It seems to serve pages great for the entire time I am here at work. Yet
when I go home, it quits responding to any IP requests (Ping, WWW Telnet
etc). This hangs on for several hours, and then the box will start
responding again. I don't think that it has ever happened while I am
here, but it doesn't crash the box. It just starts responding to IP
again!

Is chron or something taking up all the CPU resources. Is this network
card screwing up. (Don't think it's network, as it is responding the same
with either card)

Am I just _stupid_? Please, help me before I switch to NT <SHUDDER> - No
actually I wouldn't ever do that! Especially with this hardware <BG>!

===
I posted this, and didn't really get any great responses. Thanks for
those that tried!

Some additional information. The box seems to quit responding to any IP
requests. I telnet to another Linux box that's on the local ether, and
PING the (problem) BSD box. It responds, and then starts loading pages
again. The problem just seems intermittent.

I have switched back to a 3C509 with PnP disabled. The box is configured
most as default install. I have granted ownership of the HTDOCS directory
under apache to another user - non root.

 -Thanks
gregs@wacom.com