Date:      12 Apr 2000 14:18:47 +0200
From:      Juergen Nickelsen <jnickelsen@acm.org>
To:        Anatoly Vorobey <mellon@pobox.com>
Cc:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: BSDCon East

Anatoly Vorobey <mellon@pobox.com> writes on freebsd-chat:

> Consider, for instance, just off the top of my head, "many a X",
> or "Would that Y". Such constructions aren't covered in
> dictionaries or texts for foreigners. How would one know that the
> former is used as a deliberate archaism?

The answer is, of course, "read a *lot*, all kinds of stuff from the
highest literature to Usenet, and pay attention to what you read."

Even after learning English for nine years at school, it took me
several years of reading until I was comfortable reading English
texts. Another several years later I am still sometimes baffled by a
sentence where my parser has to backtrack two or three times.

> Consider a sentence going "Granted, X has blablabla..., but...".
> How is a dictionary going to help a foreigner to parse it? Granted
> what? Granted who to whom? :)

Isn't this a figure common in other languages? It certainly is
common in German, but, granted :-), English and German *are* quite
close.

> English syntax *is* fiendishly difficult, no in the least
> *because* it's so irregular: "rules" are violated so often that
> one has the feeling that anything goes -- except that it doesn't.

Yes. Once I was writing some 20 pages of a technical text in
English. This wasn't particularly difficult, but here and then there
was a sentence which I knew I hadn't got quite right -- not that it
was really wrong or that it was incomprehensible, but it didn't
*sound* right, not really English, like it had been written by a
non-native speaker (which it was).

An american colleague who proofread the text made just miniscule
changes to these sentences -- she inserted a word or deleted
another, slightly changed the order of the sentence, or replaced a
word with a better one. And voila!, the sound was right.

--
Juergen Nickelsen