Date:      Sun, 15 Oct 2000 15:32:26 -0700
From:      Jon Drukman <jsd@collab.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   natd + ipfw in default deny mode

I am running 4.1.1-R and doing the typical natd + ipfw thing to let my
windows boxes connect to my DSL line through the FreeBSD box.

I was wondering if it is possible to run the FreeBSD ipfw configuration in
"default deny" mode.  I can't get it to work by doing firewall type
"simple".  Unless I have a pass all rule in the ipfw config, I get this
message from natd:

Oct 14 19:42:33 cluttered natd[98]: failed to write packet back (Permission
denied)

I thought having the divert rule early on would work around all the deny
rules, but I haven't stumbled on the magic formula.  Any example firewall
configs would be appreciated.

Right now I'm running in "open" mode and explicitly blocking a few
troublesome ports (windows networking for example) but obviously it would
be nicer to block everything and only accept what I specifically need.

In case it matters, the external network (dsl) is on interface dc0.  The
internal net is 10.10.10.0/24 on interface ed0.

My natd lines in rc.conf are:
natd_enable="YES"
natd_interface="dc0"
natd_flags=""