Date:      Thu, 18 Oct 2001 02:22:41 -0700
From:      "Ted Mittelstaedt" <tedm@toybox.placo.com>
To:        "Mike Smith" <msmith@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        "Doug Hass" <dhass@imagestream.com>, <freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG>, <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: FYI

I do not feel that this thread is stupid.  To the contrary I'm very
concerned when a manufacturer pulls a specialty card supported
by FreeBSD off the market and replaces it with nothing that is
supported.  Every time this happens (and it seems to be happening
a lot with network adapters lately) it causes problems for a lot of
users, confusion because This rev of the card is supported and That
rev isn't, extra work for the maintainers, and in short sets the
project back.  This does not help FreeBSD to support lots of peripherals,
as Doug pointed out we are being ignored by the RAS card manufacturers,
and nobody is going to use FreeBSD no matter how good the kernel is
if the OS doesen't support the hardware they own.

Telling Imagestream we built a module architecture that
makes writing, maintaining and deploying binary-only drivers easy is
fine, but it does nothing to respond to the problem of how to
convert their binary drivers to our framework.  They don't even
understand we have a framework, let alone how it operates.  They
are asking us to write the drivers and they don't even understand
that some of the developers that could do it have reservations
against binary-only drivers only available under NDA, or how
much more it could help them if they were to just publish source.
And attempting to even talk about this openly leads into irrelevant
pointless accusations about stealing intellectual property.

Device driver support in PC operating systems seems always to have
been a political football no matter what OS vendor - even Microsoft
with all their power still was forced into writing drivers for some
hardware, despite all the pressure they applied to the hardware vendors
to do the work.  You seem to be taking the attitude that "we made a
framework, and that's as far as we go - you write the driver" and
then labeling any further discussion on the matter as stupid.  Well,
if this is the attitude in the FreeBSD project (which I doubt) then
if it was such an effective one then why does Linux seem to have many more
drivers written for it?

>> No, I am well aware of FreeBSD's history and if you don't believe that the
>> project avoids closed-source code then I don't know what to say, frankly.
>
>You could say "I'm wrong".  It'd be a good start.

OK, your right, I'm wrong.  Contrary to my statement, FreeBSD attempts to
get as much closed-source code as possible.  That's why the name of the
distribution starts with the word "Free"