Date:      Sat, 13 Jun 1998 11:59:03 -0500
From:      greeves <sysadmin@mfn.org>
To:        greeves <sysadmin@mfn.org>, "'FreeBSD Questions'" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>, "'Dan Nelson'" <dnelson@emsphone.com>
Subject:   RE: [FBSD-Q] Type header???

----------
From: 	Dan Nelson
Sent: 	Friday, June 12, 1998 11:02 PM
To: 	greeves; 'FreeBSD Questions'
Subject: 	Re: [FBSD-Q] Type header???

In the last episode (Jun 12), greeves said:
<snip>
> Obviously, using the subject this way allows people (often me as
> well, depending on what area of the shop I'm working in that day) who
> can't filter automatically by sender or relay points to scan the
> subjects quickly, and thereby determine if the mails can wait, or
> whether a given email may be customer related.

I dislike mailinglists messing with my subject header.  It wastes 7 (in
your example) characters in the subject and screws up replies (I've
seen Re: [mysql] Re: [mysql] Re: [mysql] in one list) and list
crossposts.
I agree, the automatic "re:' feature is a pain, but if done properly, will
NOT mess with a header that has already been assigned a header.

What's wrong with installing Procmail and filtering on "Sender:"?,
Not everyone has this option (myself included).  For instance, I run a
small but *very* heterogenous network which includes NT, FreeBSD,
antiques like SVR3 and USL/SVR4, MS-DOS, and even a CMS box
(although, fortunately, off-site!).  The header allows *all* of us to filter,
not just the lucky few who can see their headers.

or
bugging the author of your email package to allow filtering on
arbitrary headers?

Lets see..  ATT->USL->SCO; IBM; Micro$loth; hmmmm... This doesn't
look like a feasible alternative.

	-Dan Nelson
	dnelson@emsphone.com

J.A. Terranson