Date:      Sat, 25 Jul 1998 13:34:02 -0400
From:      "Francisco Reyes" <reyesf@newsguy.com>
To:        "advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG" <advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   FreeBSD Mall?

While looking at the opensource pages (www.opensource.org) to see
where we can give some input about FreeBSD I noticed on their list of
"products" the mention of a Linux Mall

>clearinghouse where Linux users and commercial software developers can find each other.

Could we do something like this? I have always wanted to see adds in
the FreeBSD pages BECAUSE this will show newcomers there ARE
companies creating software and maintaining FreeBSD based solutions.

The gallery is vendor's section is good, but many may never wonder
into it to see the list.

For those who oppose ads then how about creating a Ring? I like the
ads better even a ring will be better than nothing.

Advantage of having adds:
-We could allow companies like Yahoo put Free ads since they are a
great showcase of FreeBSD. I would love to see a banner like "FreeBSD
at it's best. Serving the world at Yahoo"

-It would be an incentive for companies which support FreeBSD to
continue doing so since it will generate income for them. Any
commercial hardware vendor which supports FreeBSD will eventually
stop if there is no "perceived" revenue produced from them spending
money on drivers for FreeBSD.

-The ads will prompt many people who may currently be supporting
FreeBSD products and services for free to put adds and see the
FreeBSD user base as a potential source of income. This can be very
good since they will be able to continue enhancing their
product/services.