Date:      Thu, 13 Dec 2001 13:04:42 -0800
From:      "Kevin Oberman" <oberman@es.net>
To:        krzysztof <cs052279@yahoo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD Mirroring Question

> Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2001 12:18:30 -0800 (PST)
> From: krzysztof <cs052279@yahoo.com>
> Sender: owner-freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
>
> Hello,
>
>      I am installing a backup firewall for the current
> one I have.  The theory is if my current one crashes
> due to hardware I would be back up in minutes.  My
> question is what could I use to mirror critical files
> to the firewall backup box?  As a last resort I might
> use automated ftp to perform this task but I think
> there has to be a better solution.  My current boxes
> are both running 4.4-Stable.  Thanks in advance for
> any help.

Normally I'd suggest rsync. It's made for that job and it runs over an
encrypted link. It's "smart" in that it only copies changes and it can
compress for use across slow links (though I doubt you care).

I use to make regular updates of our backup configuration management
system data at a remote location and have always had excellent
results.

The reason I am a bit uncomfortable is that V2.5.0 just came out and it
seems very flaky. I suspect a new, bug-fix release will follow soon,
but, for the moment, I'd suggest installing an older release, possibly
from about 2 weeks ago.

R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)