Date:      Sun, 24 Nov 2002 11:32:04 +0000
From:      Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Serious problem installing freebsd into a...

On Sat, Nov 23, 2002 at 11:59:10PM +0100, TooManySecrets wrote:

> I've a SIS 648 MAX motherboard, whit the SIS648 driver, a Seagate 80Gb 7200
> rpm hard drive, Creative nvidia Ti4400 and a Pentium 4 2'4Mhz with 533 fsb.
> Well, when I try to install freebsd in it, I obtain this message:
>
> ad0: READ command timeout tag=0 serv=0 - resetting
> ata0: resetting devices...

In the hardware notes at
http://www.freebsd.org/releases/4.7R/relnotes-i386.html it states that
the following SiS chipsets are known to work:

 SiS 530, 540, 620
 SiS 630, 633, 635, 645, 730, 733, 735, 740, 745, 750
 SiS 5591 ATA100

which doesn't mention your particular model. Normally since a very
similar one is mentioned there would be a reasonable chance yours
would work too.  However, it seems that other people are having the
same problem you are ---
http://groups.google.co.uk/groups?selm=aodat1%242q1p%241%40FreeBSD.csie.NCTU.edu.tw&oe=UTF-8&output=gplain
and there is no mention of 'SiS 648' in the 4-STABLE kernel sources as
of yesterday, so I think you've unfortunately bought an unsupported
motherboard.  Try asking your vendor if they will swap it for an
alternative model --- I think the Asus P4B533 is supported, and that
looks compatible with the rest of your components.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

                                                      Savill Way
                                                      Marlow