Date:      12 Jan 2001 20:30:57 -0500
From:      Arcady Genkin <antipode@thpoon.com>
To:        Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Fail to build ghostscript6 port

Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org> writes:

> > ,----
> > | ./obj/echogs -e .dev -w- -l-obj ./obj/compfont -include \
> > |          ./obj/psf0lib ./obj/psf0read
> > | gmake: *** No rule to make target `jpeg/jpeglib.h', needed by \
> > |          `obj/jpeglib0.h'.  Stop.
> > `----
> jpeglib.h is in the jpeg port (/usr/ports/graphics/jpeg). My copy of
> the ghostscript6 port has that as a dependency. You should check for
> that in ${PREFIX}/include, and if it's not there, install the jpeg
> port.

I have it in /usr/local/include/jpeglib.h, and have jpeg-6b port
installed.

I have figured this out.  In subdirectory work/gs6.01/ there was a
symlink jpeg -> /usr/ports/graphics/jpeg/work/jpeg-6b.  That is,
building of the ghostscript6 port relied on having extracted sources
of libjpeg, and I always do `make clean' after any installation.

Why it would point to the .../jpeg/work directory I don't know.  Isn't
that what include/ directories are for?..  In any case, I made
`make extract' in graphics/jpeg, and ghostscript compiled.

> Well, if you're running 4.0, you need set set XFREE86_VERSION=4 in
> /etc/make.conf.

Hmmm...  Not only did I not have that, but I also had `NO_X=true'. ;^)
The reason is that I had no X installed on that computer (don't need
it there), but got sick of not being able to compile this or that
library because of missing X libraries; so today I gave in and
compiled XFree86-libraries-4.0.1_2 from ports.

Thanks for your suggestions,
--
Arcady Genkin
Don't read everything you believe.